Up Close & Personal

At Kiltepan Viewpoint, Sagada
Q: What university or college did you go to achieve your degree?

Shainne: I graduated from Far Eastern University – Manila with the degree of Bachelor of Science in Commerce Major in Marketing Management.

How did you decide what you wanted to study?

Deciding on what field to choose to be my major was one of the most difficult decisions I have made in my life. There were a lot of things I really wanted to try when I was younger and interests varied and somehow changed. Maybe Marketing Management was really my calling and I couldn’t be any happier. I’m glad I didn’t give up. Not one bit. Hehe

How did you decide what you wanted to do with your life?

I want to congratulate those who have already decided! Hahaha! Actually, I’ve had a lot of setbacks when I was in college. There were a lot of things I wasn’t sure of; things I didn’t even know if I must continue. But as I grow older and as I experience things in life... that was the time I knew which path I want and I must take. I think we just need a lot of setbacks to finally decide, those are the moments we could learn the most.

How do you feel about that choice?

Like I’ve said, I couldn’t be any happier. It’s like I’m always excited to try new things!

What job did you do most of your life? What did you like most about it? Least?

Mostly marketing, that’s the primary thing I do. I like to think things over, to plan and to strategize. I love the nitty-gritty part of the planning and I always find it exciting to execute and implement. I love everything about it. Least? I could say, I dread the computation part – especially the part when I have to liquidate. I love budgeting, definitely, but to have every amount balanced, which is the most important may I just say, I’m not fond of it. In other words, I’m not good in Math! Hahaha!

Which do you think you have the most of: talent, intelligence, education, or persistence? How has it helped you in your life?

Persistence. To stress, I don’t have much of talents; I couldn’t even say that I’m that intelligent; with the education part, I try to acquire more units in business and in various areas. Being persistent helped me to face all tough times. Maybe because I know that I must work hard for everything and I should put my 200% on something I really want to attain. There are way too many things that I’m really not good at, but being persistent helped to have those a little bit easier to achieve.

What’s your favorite book and why?

I read a lot. If there’s one thing I spend so much money on it would be on books. In lieu, I have too many favourites. Hehe I could name some:
           
Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom– I’ve read this book way too many times and I must say I can’t close it without even a tear pouring down my cheeks. This book has moved me.
Bossypants by Tina Fey – Tina Fey is my favourite. I could really relate with what Tina Fey had written and I love how funny the book is. I love how funny and witty she is.  
Noli Me Tangere and El Filibusterismo by Jose Rizal­ – We always come across these books especially when we were in high school and in college. My Rizal subject was inspiring and made me more nationalistic. I love how it was written and having been able to read the books that changed the Philippine history and the Philippines as a whole, I must say, I felt really privileged.

What’s the best compliment you ever received?

Maybe when I was told I have a beautiful mind and that I am free-spirited.

What kinds of things bring you the most pleasure now?

Books, internet, my daily planner and colourful ballpens

Do you feel differently about yourself now from how you felt when you were younger? How?

Indeed! When I was younger I used to worry about everything. I used to cry about anything. Now, I worry-less and sometimes I don’t really worry at all. I just do my own thing, things that make me happy, and of course, the ethical ones. As we grow older, I think, we tend to set our minds to the phase where we are going to be happy even in the simplest way.

What do you think has stayed the same about you throughout life? What do you think has changed?

I still have the same values that my grandparents taught me and those values helped me through life. I’ve changed in a positive way; I’m stronger now than I was before.

Do you have any hobbies or special interests?

My hobbies include playing and listening to music, reading books and discovering things – new places, arts and crafts. I like landscape photography, films and TV series.

Do you enjoy any particular sports?

I used to play football before. I’m not a pro though, I just tried it and I liked it. I did try triathlon too. I used to be part of the marketing team of a sporting brand that concentrates mainly on triathlon gears, then so I tried Swim-Bike-Run. Well, it was challenging because I didn’t learn how to ride a bike when I was a kid, I learned how to when I was already 21. Hahaha! You know what they say, don’t ever think it’s too late to try and learn something new.

 What’s your typical day like now?

I am a morning person. I woke up very early, drink coffee, take a bath and go to work. Sometimes, I can manage to have breakfast with my colleagues then on with my day afterwards. My activities vary. There were days when I can just sit down in front of my computer, check emails and do my planning and things that could be of help to the company (marketing wise), and there were days when I was out talking to different organizations, companies and people. There were days when I need to attend seminars and conferences or I’m out interviewing people, which is one of my favourites.

What do you do for fun?

I travel. I travel whenever and wherever I can. I can go travelling even if I’m alone. If I’m not travelling, I’m just at home surfing the internet, reading or sleeping – which is very fun, I must brag. Hahaha!

 Who do you trust and depend on?

My family and my friends

If you could go back to any age, which age would it be and why?

My 7th. As I could remember, that was the age when I started building my dreams and thinking what I wanted to become.

How do you feel now about growing old?

I feel privileged.

 What’s the hardest thing about growing older? The best thing?

The hardest thing might be when you didn’t achieve your goal for a specific time; if you have set an age when you want to achieve a certain goal and didn’t, it’s kind of frustrating. The best thing would be the lessons you have acquired along the way. Though things might have been hard, these are just experience that we can all treasure.

Did you have any expectations at points in your life about what growing older would be like for you?

Of course I want to be settled in all ways possible and I’m working on it.

What do you look forward to now?

I look forward to more fun days and more destinations.

What do you feel have been the important successes in your life? The frustrations?

One would be graduating from college. Not all are blessed and lucky to have finished their studies. I can’t remember any frustrations (as of now) because I’m happy with my choices.

 What do you think the turning points have been in your life? What were you like then?

Hmmm. Maybe when I was deciding if I want to continue a certain job and when I was contemplating if I will stand up for what I believe I deserve. I was scared because I don’t have any idea during that time if it will work out. Of course, I took risk, and it was all worth it.

And of course, I got my heart broken way too many times. Well, it helped me to be a better person and to be more understanding and of course, patient.

Over time, how have you changed the way you look at life/people?

I look at life in a different perspective now. If before I always worry, now I don’t need to. I’ve become more resilient and contented for what I have. If I want something, I work hard for it. That, I think has changed. Before, I was keen on having everything in a rush. Now, I grew patient and I accept things as they are especially those I can’t even control.

With people, I try to filter them. I trust those who I know are true and will stick with me even when I’m at my worst state. It’s quality over quantity.

 What advice did your grandparents or parents give you that you remember best?

My grandparents taught me all the good things a person could be taught. They always remind me to be humble, to work hard, to be a loving person, to show respect and to appreciate things and people that wanted to be in my life. They taught me to remain silent when things don’t go my way and just care about things that will improve my being.

Do you have a philosophy of life? What’s your best piece of advice for living?

Live everyday like it’s your last day and show people especially your family and friends how much you value and love them. When I was younger, a teenager, I find it corny to always tell my grandparents how much I love them because I felt like it was so cheesy. Hahaha! Now, I tell them how much I’m thankful and how much I love them most of the time. Life’s too short. Let’s all be happy.

 If a young person came to you asking ‘what’s the most important thing for living a good life,’ what will you say?

It is choosing happiness. As the cliché goes, happiness is a choice and it is a decision.

How do you define a “good life” or a “successful life”?

We don’t need to have too much money to be defined as successful. As long as we go round doing things we love and passionate about and we contribute to the development of the society, it is enough to be called a “good life” or a “successful life.”

Do you think a person needs to first overcome serious setbacks or challenges to be truly successful?

Yes, indeed! We won’t be able to value all our winnings if we didn’t experience losing stuff. Failures help us to know the things we must do and things we must avoid. We always need a wakeup call.

 In what way is it important to know your limitations in your life or career?

When we are good at doing something, we tend to be complacent about it. We sometimes forget to have our feet stick to the ground. We must know our limitations. We must let our achievements speak for us and not the other way around. 

Interviewers' questions source: www.legacyproject.org

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Montalban Waterpark and Garden Resort

Ang Liham ni Andres Bonifacio kay Ka Oryang

Pinto Art Museum