Bossypants

Bossypants by Tina Fey
(c) Shainne Hostalero
The Good Read:  Bossypants by Tina Fey

Truth be told: Tina Fey is my favorite... In all her ways as a writer, an artist, an actor, a producer, a wife and a mother. I see the humor arise whenever I get to see her writings, her stints, guesting and hosting gigs (well, of course, on publications and on TV only.)

When the book Bossypants was recently out, the first published of it was on a blue hard-bound book. I was then a student, third year in college to be more specific. I went to a bookstore - a bookstore where you can read books even if you don't have any intention of buying them; a bookstore where no one's going to reprimand you for being such a freeloader. Hahaha! I swear, I've finished lots of good reads there. I was just a student and the books that I was interested about were the books that cost more than my weekly allowance. In other words, I couldn't afford. So, what happened was I made it a point to swing by and read the books I like there until I'm done with all the chapters. (I'm sorry book authors/writers, I know you're about making profit too. Now that I (somehow) can afford, I can purchase all your masterpieces.)

In lieu, I finished reading Bossypants long long ago. It took me four (4) weekends to flip and turn the pages of its hard-bound version. I really fell in love with the book. I remember laughing out loud inside that bookstore while reading. It was really awkward. It was quiet, everyone was reading and browsing silently then someone (who didn't have any intention to buy... wait, I have all the intention to buy but I just can't afford it during that time. Remember the Ability vs. Willingness analogy?) will laugh that loud. I was sorry. I couldn't resist.

Jumping to the most recent, three (3) weeks ago I finally bought Bossypants! I bought it along The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho that I will soon share with you too. I couldn't find the hard-bound version of Bossypants anymore. Well, beforehand, I tried looking for the e-book version. Old school that I am, I still prefer the real book maybe because I love flipping the pages and I really like the smell of it.

For most part of my reading, I always smile and laugh whenever I could come across something funny and I nod each time if something really makes sense to me - most specifically if that part is something I have experienced or experiencing as well. Let me share to you my favorite pieces of Tina Fey's mind:
Some people say, "Never let them see you cry." I say, if you're so mad you could just cry, then cry. It terrifies everyone.
- Thanks for this Tina Fey! It's always a good advice to give and it is something really doable.
I'm the kind of person who likes to feel like part of a community. I will make strange bedfellows rather than have no bedfellows.
- Exactly.
Now, obviously in real life you're not always going to agree with everything everyone says. Put the rule of agreement reminds you to "respect what your partner has created."
And to at least start from an open-minded place. Start with a yes and see where that takes you.
There are no mistakes, only opportunities.
 - This helped me get through tough times.
 Bossypants Lesson #183: You can't boss people around if they don't really care.
If you retain nothing else, always remember the most important Rule of Beauty: "Who cares?"
- Confidence is key, and their opinions? INVALID.
You have to try your hardest to be at the top of your game and improve every joke you can until the last possible second, and then you have to let it go.
It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don't like something, it is empirically not good.
Your energy is better used doing your work and outpacing people that way. Then, when you're in charge, don't hire the people who were jerky to you.
- One for the books! How timely it is! Hahaha! Noted with thanks, Tina.
Don't waste your energy trying to educate or change opinions. Go "Over! Under! Through!" and opinions will change organically when you're the boss. Or they won't. Who cares? Do your thing and don't care if they like it.
Publicity and press junkets are just part of the job. Your work is what you really care about because you work is your craft and your craft is your art. 
- This moved me.
Technology doesn't move backward. No society has ever de-industrialized. Which is why we'll never turn back from Photoshop - and why the economic collapse of China is going to be the death of us all. 
Sometimes if you have a difficult decision to make, just stall until the answer presents itself.

Dearest Tina Fey,

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Shainne

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Montalban Waterpark and Garden Resort

Ang Liham ni Andres Bonifacio kay Ka Oryang

Pinto Art Museum