The Art of Racing in the Rain

The Good Read:                  The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein
(c) Shainne Hostalero

This book was one of the many books I have read before. On this renovated blog of mine, I have decided to share the books and articles that made sense to me, moved me or caught me in between of this mad life. It's pretty much amazing how gloomy things and days can turn so vibrant when reading a book. It's mesmerizing. I felt like I have different worlds aside from the one I was into.

I remember buying this book in Fully Booked when I was waiting for a friend. I bought it along side with Haruki Murakami's Norwegian Wood which I have yet to share - a power-enriched book too like a nutritious food, only it touches deeper than internal, if you know what I mean.

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein is about Denny Swift, a former race car driver turned Customer Service Representative, his dog, Enzo and his whole family and career matters. Very timely, we all revolve like it. If you are a dog lover like me, you will surely appreciate this book more. Brilliant, Garth Stein!

Here are some of the best quotes from the book (in my lovely opinion) that moved me and left me thinking about my struggles and how I can trust myself more to survive and be happy or happier (naks!):

"There is no distance in losing the race. There is only dishonor in not racing because you're afraid to lose."
"He died that day because his body served its purpose. His soul had done what it came to do, learned what it came to learn, and then was free to leave."
"That which we manifest is before us; we are the creators of our own destiny. Be it through intention or ignorance, our success and failures have been bought by one other than ourselves."
"To live everyday as if it is had been stolen from death, that is how I would like to live. To feel the joy of life, as Eve felt the joy of life, to separate oneself form the burden, the angst, the anguish that we all encounter everyday, to say I am alive, I am wonderful. I am. I am. That is something to aspire to."
"So much language is unspoken. So much of language is compromised of looks and gestures and sounds that are not words. People are ignorant of the vast complexity of their own communication."
"You should shine with all of your light all the time."
 "My soul has learned what it came to learn, and all the other things are just things. We can't have everything we want. Sometimes, we simply have to believe."
"I learned that from a program on the National Geographic Channel, so I believe it is true. Not all dogs return as men: they say, only those who are ready."
"I know this much about racing in the rain. I know it is about balance. It is about anticipation and patience. It is also about the mind! It is about owning one's body. It is about believing that you are not you; you are everything and everything is you."
"We had a good run, and now it's over, what's wrong with that?"
"Memory is time folding back on itself to remember to disengage from the present."
"Your car goes where your eyes go. Loneliness is unable to service without a willing host."
"Suppressing the symptom does nothing but force the true problem to express itself on a deeper level at some other time."
"Do not mistake confidence and self-awareness for egotism."
"Do not blame other people for being themselves, you will only be frustrated by it." 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Montalban Waterpark and Garden Resort

Ang Liham ni Andres Bonifacio kay Ka Oryang

Pinto Art Museum